What We Can Offer
- Develop and review a viable strategy and set clear growth objectives for the social business
- Oversee daily operations and the production processes including the sourcing of plastic waste as input material from local suppliers
- Ensure the development of tactical programs to pursue targeted goals and objectives regarding impact creation and financial viability
- Control budgets and optimize expenses, incl. evaluation and decision upon key investments in equipment, infrastructure, and talent
- Lead and manage a team of up to 20-50 people, incl. overseeing recruiting and talent development
- Evaluate and improve operations to ensure the overall delivery and quality of the social business’ offerings to customers
- Ensure staff follows health and safety regulations
- Engage with the parent organisation YEH in broader organizational strategic planning and prepare regular reports
- Provide solutions to issues (e.g. profit decline, employee conflicts, loss of business to competitors)
- Coordinate and manage local partners & stakeholders to contribute to systemic impact creation in waste management
Responsibilities during Construction Phase (approx. June – September 2021):
During the construction phase, the General Manager will work closely with YEH Project Manager to set up the social business. The objective is to have a well set-up social business that will be able to sustain and operate in a financially self-sustainable way in the long run.
- Business registration: According to the procedure for incorporation of a foreign-owned business in Vietnam, Project Approval, Investment Registration Certificate (IRC) and Business Registration Certificate (BRC) need to be obtained.
- Ordering and set-up of machines: The production machinery that has not yet been purchased during earlier project phases will need to be ordered and installed.
- Set up of the facility: The processing facility will be located in an industrial area that meets the requirements in terms of plastic recycling industry, sourcing and distribution opportunities, space, available human resources, etc. Potential renovations and setup works will need to be overlooked.
- Permissions: Any (remaining) necessary permissions (e.g. security or hygiene certificates, Environmental Impact Assessment) will need to be applied for.
- Sourcing: A critical measure during the construction and set-up phase is the establishment of sourcing infrastructure. In this phase, the social business will tap into the existing supply chain for recyclable plastic waste, mainly by establishing business relationships with educational organizations, waste collection firms, aggregators and waste pickers and work on its supplier strategies.
- Distribution: Based on initial talks and project briefings, contracts and agreements with local and global purchasers from selected industries (particularly plastic conversions, furniture and construction industries) need to be signed.
- Staff: Having assessed the human resource needs to ensure well-functioning operations, staff for the social business will be recruited and trained.
- Start of production: Steady growth of production capacity towards full production within three years.
- Products: The production will initially focus on the main product category chosen during earlier project phases, as well as future complementary products
- Sourcing: Through strategic partnerships with aggregators and key players in waste collection, the objective is to significantly raise the demand for lower-value plastics that so far remained uncollected.
- Distribution: A strong focus on expanding sales volumes, building new markets and thus creating additional demand for the products. Contracts with additional purchasers need to be closed.
- 5-10 years of work experience in a similar role as a General Manager
- Proven experience in the waste management & plastic recycling sector
- Background in organization set-up and management, ideally with an advanced degree (e.g. Masters in Business Administration)
- Strong insight into the objectives and principles of a social business
- Entrepreneurial mind-set and hands-on mentality
- Strategic and financial planning skills
- Independent and reliable work style
- Fluent in English and Vietnamese (Vietnamese national)
- Proven leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills & critical and analytical thinking
- Strong in negotiations & contract management
- Familiarity with Government agencies and multi-stakeholders
- Problem-solving aptitude